Post-Divorce Modification and Enforcement

A victory in your divorce case doesn’t mean much if the other party refuses to comply with the court order. Fortunately, you can request the court to enforce the other party’s compliance by pursuing an enforcement action and in some cases requesting that the party be held in contempt.

If the other party has filed an enforcement order against you, it is important to take action in defending your rights. If the court finds you in contempt, the consequences can be severe. You may face steep fines and possibly jail time.

Divorce decrees establish child custody, child support and spousal support based on the circumstances of the parties at the time of divorce. However, those circumstances can — and likely will — change over time. Modifying the existing arrangements requires court approval. If the other party objects to the modification, you may have to undergo multiple court hearings. Just as in the initial divorce case, evidence and legal arguments will be necessary to establish your position.

Modifications to child custody (also called “conservatorship”), visitation, child support and spousal support require a significant change in circumstances such as:

  • Relocation
  • Increase or reduction in income
  • Change in work schedule
  • Remarriage or birth of a new child
  • Health concerns
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Domestic abuse
  • Criminal arrest

The party seeking the modification has the burden of presenting evidence sufficient to meet the legal standard.

Contact Us

To learn more about how we can assist you, contact Naylor & Naylor at (817) 348-0007. We handle enforcement and post-divorce modifications in Fort Worth, Texas, and the surrounding areas. Evening and weekend appointments are available by request.